Installing a cable modem is easy. You don't need to open your pc cover, unless you don't have a NIC (Network interface card) installed in your pc. But, most NICs come pre-installed in many types and brand names of PC.
- Cable Internet access
- Cable modem
- Cable TV outlet
- USB or CAT 5 cable to connect the modem to your computer
- NIC (network interface card)
- Extra coaxial cable for adequate length
Connecting Cable Modem to Your PC
- Turn off your computer to avoid power surges.
- Connect the coax line from the wall to the cable connector on the cable modem.
- Get the Ethernet cable or CAT5 cable and plug one end to the Ethernet port of your pc's NIC.
*Note: make sure to use the Ethernet cable provided along with the modem or check for any Ethernet cable specifications for the appropriate cable type.
- Connect the other end of the Ethernet cable to your cable modem.
- Plug the power adapter of your cable modem to a power outlet
- Connect the adaptor to the modem's power connector.
- Power up the modem
- Power up the PC
If you have decided that a cable broadband subscription is right for you, your next step would be to determine which of the cable internet providers has the best plan for your budget and lifestyle.